Information on the UNE Residential Scholarships
The University of New England has established residential scholarships to encourage qualified and motivated students who may not otherwise have considered college living because of financial constraints, to reside in a UNE residential college and be involved in the college community.
Value per annum: Up to $100 per week for the length of the Accommodation Agreement up to a maximum of $5200 per year.
Number awarded: Variable (maximum of 30)
To be offered: Annually
Duration: 2024 Accommodation Agreement (32 - 52 weeks) with potential for extension into future years subject to consideration each year.
Study Mode: On campus or online, Full or part – time, Undergraduate and Postgraduate
Application Closing Date: 4 January 2024. (Offers will be made on an ongoing basis as applications are received)
Office Use Only: Funding Source: Other – UNE Residential funded UNEF Account Name: NA
Who can Apply?
This scholarship is open to:
- Australian citizens and permanent residents.
- All new commencing students.
- Continuing UNE students in any year of a degree/course who have not previously resided in a UNE college/residence.
- Current recipients of a UNE Residential Financial Assistance scholarship seeking an extension of their scholarship.
The applicant must be able to demonstrate financial need.
The applicant is living or intending to live in a UNE Residential College (excludes St Alberts College and Wright College) - see Conditions section of this document for specific living requirements of this scholarship.
Selection Criteria (in Order of Importance)
The scholarship will be awarded on the basis of:
Financial need and circumstances - See Supporting Documents below
Awarded and administered by the UNE College Scholarships Committee. By applying for this scholarship, the applicant permits the University to give some personal details contained in their application to the committee, some members of which may not be UNE staff. All information gathered will be treated with discretion.
UNE College allocation will be determined subject to availability.
Supporting Documents/Additional Information
The listed documents are acceptable forms of evidence in each of the following criteria:
The applicant should attach evidence to support financial need, which may be:
- A copy of a Centrelink statement or their Income Tax Return (if independent) and/or
- Their parent’s/parents’ Income Tax Return/s (if dependent) and/or
- A letter from an authorised person (eg. Community leader, School principal, minister of religion, accountant) that comments on the applicant’s financial circumstances.
Statement of Case outlining
- What impact will NOT receiving the scholarship have on your studies?
- What special conditions or obstacles have you overcome in your path to study? eg. financial, geographic, cultural or other disadvantage.
- Undergraduate scholarship holders may not hold more than one residential UNE scholarship if the combined value is greater than six thousand dollars ($6,000) per annum.
- The scholarship may not be deferred or transferred.
- Failure to meet the conditions of your scholarship may result in you being required to repay any instalment already received.
- Continuation of the scholarship, if applicable, is subject to: a. Maintenance of a GPA of 4.0 in each trimester (unless otherwise approved by the UNE Colleges Scholarships Committee). For continuing students, results for Trimester Two and Three will be combined for the purpose of calculating eligibility for continuation of the scholarship in Trimester One in the second and subsequent years. b. The scholar continuing to maintain an enrolment at UNE. c. Submission of brief Trimester reports in May and September each year reporting on progress with their studies and involvement in sporting, cultural and community activities as well as participation in University life, where applicable.
- Any request to vary the conditions of the scholarship must be made in writing and will be determined at the discretion of the UNE Residential Scholarship Committee (or other relevant committee).
- The Scholar may be required to attend the annual scholarships donor event if they are invited to do so, and may be asked to participate in activities to promote this scholarship and other scholarships in general, including public speaking, donor liaison, media interviews and photographs.
- Some scholarships may affect other government payments. It is the recipient’s responsibility to seek advice from the relevant government agency.
- From time to time minor changes may be required to the administrative conditions of this scholarship. If this occurs recipients will be given advanced notice in writing. Donors will also be consulted where appropriate.
- Failure to meet the requirements of these terms and conditions may lead to the termination of the scholarship.
Scholarship Specific Conditions
The recipient is required to reside in the allocated UNE College (excludes St Albert's College and Wright College) for the duration of the scholarship and abide by the UNE Accommodation Agreement.
This Scholarship is only offered on standard room types or Wright Village flats. Wright College and St Albert’s College applications will not be considered.
The scholarship discount will be applied to the recipient’s residential fee account on a fortnightly basis, thereby reducing the recipient’s fortnightly accommodation fee payments (room component only for the catered Colleges) by up to $200. If the recipient is receiving reduced residential fees due to holding a leadership, academic, or other College office, the scholarship may be reduced to ensure the scholarship does not exceed the reduced residential fees. Any unused funds cannot be paid out or carried over.
The scholarship may be extended for those recipients who demonstrate a meaningful contribution to the college community. This will be contingent upon the recipient having obtained a minimum average GPA of 4.0 (Pass) in the previous year and continuing to demonstrate financial need.
a. Recipients seeking the extension of their scholarship may reapply through the normal application process.
b. Scholarship extension is subject to approval by the UNE Colleges Scholarship Committee and funding availability.
Collection Notice: UNE College Accommodation
Organisation collecting & holding information: University of New England (UNE). Address: University of New England, Elm Avenue, Armidale NSW 2351, Australia. Contact: UNE Privacy Officer email@example.com
This Collection Notice should be read with UNE’s Privacy statement and Privacy Management Rule.
Context Students are accommodated at residential facilities operated by UNE (Residents).
What personal information is collected? UNE collects your personal information and health information whilst you are a Resident, including: * your name and contact details, car registration * your health and medical history * your admission, enrolment and academic progress * your bank details relating to payment arrangements * your accommodation agreement and administrative matters related to the accommodation agreement and your use of the accommodation and the services
What is the purpose of collection and use? UNE collects and uses your personal information and health information to provide accommodation and related services to you.
How is my information used? Your personal information and health information is used to: * provide accommodation and related services * respond to, and provide support in relation to, health and medical matters including emergencies * administer: 1. requests, complaints and issues relating to the accommodation 1. billing and collection of fees and charges 1. academic support and awards * ensure you continue to meet the requirements for being a Resident and address any conduct matters
Do I have to provide the information? You must provide the personal information and health information to be accommodated at residential facilities operated by UNE. If you do not agree to the collection of the personal information and health information by UNE, UNE will not be able to provide you with accommodation and related services.
How can I access or correct my information? Please contact the UNE Privacy Officer for any queries about this Collection Notice.
Access and amendment requests, complaints and other enquiries relating to privacy and the handling of personal information should be directed to: UNE Privacy Officer Records Policy & Governance Unit Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
In accepting the UNE Financial Assistance Scholarship, the recipient acknowledges that they have read, understand and accept the terms and conditions outlined above.