Information on the UNE Residential Scholarships
The University of New England has established residential scholarships to encourage qualified and motivated students who may not otherwise have considered college living because of financial constraints, to reside in a UNE residential college and be involved in the college community.
Value per annum: 37% - 66% discount on residential fees (room only) depending on the room type and contract length. This equates to $3400 for 34 weeks up to a maximum of $5000 for a 51 week contract.
Number awarded: Variable (min of 30)
To be offered: Annually
Duration: 2022 Accommodation Agreement (34 - 52 weeks) with potential for extension into future years subject to consideration each year
Study Mode: On campus or online, Full or part – time, Undergraduate and Postgraduate
Application Closing Date: 4 January 2022. (Offers will be made on an ongoing basis as applications are received)
Office Use Only: Funding Source: Other – UNE Residential funded UNEF Account Name: NA
Who can Apply?
This scholarship is open to:
- Australian citizens and permanent residents.
- All new commencing students.
- Continuing UNE students in any year of a degree/course who have not previously resided in a UNE college/residence.
- Current recipients of a UNE Residential Financial Assistance scholarship seeking an extension of their scholarship.
The applicant must be able to demonstrate financial need.
The applicant is living or intending to live in a UNE Residential College (excludes St Alberts College) - see Conditions section of this document for specific living requirements of this scholarship.
Selection Criteria (in Order of Importance)
The scholarship will be awarded on the basis of:
Financial need and circumstances - See Supporting Documents below
Awarded and administered by the UNE College Scholarships Committee. By applying for this scholarship, the applicant permits the University to give some personal details contained in their application to the committee, some members of which may not be UNE staff. All information gathered will be treated with discretion.
UNE College allocation will be determined subject to availability.
Supporting Documents/Additional Information
The listed documents are acceptable forms of evidence in each of the following criteria:
The applicant should attach evidence to support financial need, which may be:
- A copy of a Centrelink statement or their Income Tax Return (if independent) and/or
- Their parent’s/parents’ Income Tax Return/s (if dependent) and/or
- A letter from an authorized person (eg. Community leader, School principal, minister of religion, accountant) that comments on the applicant’s financial circumstances.
Statement of Case outlining
- What impact will NOT receiving the scholarship have on your studies?
- What special conditions or obstacles have you overcome in your path to study? eg. financial, geographic, cultural or other disadvantage.
- Undergraduate scholarship holders may not hold more than one UNE scholarship if the combined value is greater than six thousand dollars ($6,000) per annum.
- The scholarship may not be deferred or transferred.
- Failure to meet the conditions of your scholarship may result in you being required to repay any instalment already received.
- Continuation of the scholarship, if applicable, is subject to: a. Maintenance of a GPA of 4.0 in each trimester (unless otherwise approved by the UNE Colleges Scholarships Committee). For continuing students, results for Trimester Two and Three will be combined for the purpose of calculating eligibility for continuation of the scholarship in Trimester One in the second and subsequent years. b. The scholar continuing to maintain an enrolment at UNE. c. Submission of brief Trimester reports in May and September each year reporting on progress with their studies and involvement in sporting, cultural and community activities as well as participation in University life, where applicable.
- Any request to vary the conditions of the scholarship must be made in writing and will be determined at the discretion of the Scholarships, Prizes and Awards Team (or other relevant committee).
- The Scholar may be required to attend the annual scholarships donor event if they are invited to do so, and may be asked to participate in activities to promote this scholarship and other scholarships in general, including public speaking, donor liaison, media interviews and photographs.
- Some scholarships may affect other government payments. It is the recipient’s responsibility to seek advice from the relevant government agency.
- From time to time minor changes made be required to the administrative conditions of this scholarship. If this occurs recipients will be given advanced notice in writing. Donors will also be consulted where appropriate.
- Failure to meet the requirements of these terms and conditions may lead to the termination of the scholarship.
Scholarship Specific Conditions
The recipient is required to reside in the allocated UNE College for the duration of the scholarship and abide by the UNE Accommodation Agreement.
The scholarship discount will be applied to the recipient’s residential fee account on a fortnightly basis, thereby reducing the recipient’s fortnightly payments by $200.
The scholarship may be extended for those recipients who demonstrate a meaningful contribution to the college community. This will be contingent upon the recipient having obtained a minimum average GPA of 4.0 (Pass) in the previous year and continuing to demonstrate financial need.
a. Recipients seeking the extension of their scholarship may reapply through the normal application process.
b. Scholarship extension is subject to approval of the UNE Colleges Scholarship Committee and funding availability.
c. Extended scholarships will have a discount applied being between 25-50% at the determination of the College Scholarship Committee.
In accepting the UNE Financial Assistance Scholarship, the recipient acknowledges that they have read, understand and accept the terms and conditions outlined above.
Student Number: Date: Student Name: Student Signature: